Mission & Purpose
The Child Development Center (CDC) is a ministry of First Baptist Church of Asheville to children and families in the name of Christ. We believe that children are gifts from God, and as such, we value their feelings, desires, thoughts and needs.
The CDC exists to help children trust that they are loved by Jesus and his followers; to give children opportunities to develop physically, emotionally, socially, cognitively, and spiritually to their greatest potential; and to minister, where appropriate, to the needs of children's families.
- To help children:
- Trust that they are loved by Jesus and Jesus' people, the church.
- Develop a positive self-image.
- Experience happiness, joy and beauty.
- Develop self-control and self-discipline.
- Become aware of and concerned about the feelings of others.
- Develop creativity, curiosity and self-expression.
- Develop good communication skills.
- Develop their thinking processes.
- Develop listening skills and visual discrimination.
- Develop appropriate independence for problem solving.
- Develop good practices of health, safety and nutrition.
Statement on Christian Teaching
As a church-based childcare ministry, we offer developmentally-appropriate Christian nurturing as part of our regular program, emphasizing the following themes:
- God made the world beautiful and wonderful. We give thanks for God's creation.
- God made each of us special.
- Jesus loves each and all of us.
- Community helpers show God's care for us in our everyday world.
- We can care for one another and our families.
- Bible stories and Bible characters teach us important lessons, such as taking a stand for what is right, sharing and loving one another, and the importance of family.
- Observance of the two major Christian holidays which occur during the school year, Christmas and Easter. Observances are done sensitively with careful attention to the developmental capacities of children.
- Developmentally-appropriate chapel services are conducted.
For more information, contact our CDC Director, Jennifer Buchanan, at 828.252.3234.